Wednesday, September 11, 2013

Slow Cooker Chicken & Veggies {& Bonus Chicken Pot Pie Made With Leftovers}






Last week I wanted to try a new crock pot recipe. And I decided to try this one for Slow Cooker Chicken, Potatoes & Broccoli. Only...I changed it so much it ended up not really being that recipe at all! First I didn't have any onion soup mix. Then I was going to add two condensed mushroom soups, but grabbed one chicken. And then I threw in a bunch of carrots, too.

So, yay! A new recipe....by accident.

Slow Cooker Chicken & Veggies

Chicken Breasts
Red Potatoes, chunked
Carrots, sliced or whole baby carrots
1 can condensed mushroom soup
1 can condensed chicken soup
1 cup milk
Broccoli, frozen or fresh

(Sorry! I don't have exact amounts.) Throw everything in the crock pot except the broccoli. Cook on high for 4 hours or low for 7 to 8 hours. Add broccoli for the last 30 minutes.



And the best part? This was popular with the whole family. Sam said something like, "I didn't think the broccoli would taste good. But it actually does!" 

Well, I put a lot of chicken and veggies in that pot. And after dinner was over....we were still left with a whole lot of chicken and veggies. But I didn't really want to have the same meal the next day. So, what to do...what to do? 

And then a light bulb...Chicken Pot Pie!

Leftover Chicken Pot Pie

Pie Crust
Leftover chicken and veggies
Mozzerella cheese, shredded
One egg





Her tip for using parchment paper for the pie crust is spot on. (Only I used waxed paper since that's all I had!) 

Then I filled that crust with the leftovers and  stirred in some shredded mozzerella cheese (I was thinking of my mom's broccoli beef pie AND I had loads of this cheese I needed to use up). 



Next I slapped that pie crust lid on (I am quite pleased with how that looks, just so you know. Wonky crust edge and all!) and brushed it with a bit of beaten egg.


Then I baked it until it was all golden and glorious. (Huzzah! Just go on and check out that flakey crust!)



And my kiddos raved and raved about it! They LOVED this pie! Which was awesome. I love it when things go right in the kitchen (because...um...they don't always turn out so well) 


I served that yummy, scrumptious chicken pot pie with slow cooker mashed potatoes and a salad. And let me just say, the only thing better than that pie was those potatoes! Oh, Holy Hannah. They are FANTASTIC. In fact, there was a bit of a debate that night about which was better, the pie or the potatoes. I think I'm just going to have to call it a truce. 

1 comment:

  1. This looks so delicious! My slow cooker died recently... I have got to get another one.

    Thanks for sharing.
    xoxo

    ReplyDelete

Comments make me smile. And who doesn't love to smile? So...comment away! And if you have any questions, please ask.