Monday, April 4, 2011

Upcycled Cake Stands (with some FAMOUS Guest Crafters)

 Squee!! I love this idea. Really really LOVE it. This is brilliant. Check out my new cake stand....


(which is holding some yummy Garlic Cheese Biscuits in the picture)

My cute friend, Sundi, posted about this fun idea on our crafty blog, Cheap Cheap Chickadee.  I searched around and found this fun tutorial at Eat Drink Pretty. And then I was at the thrift stores last week and I found this great collection of plates and candlestick holders...

I glued them together with some E6000 and enlisted the help of my Special Guest Crafters J.K. Rowling, Stephanie Meyer, Mette Ivie Harrison, Cornelia Funke, Jessica Day George (and more!) to keep them together.  Luckily these Famous Gals are super strong. Well, they are when they pull their weight together....


But, only one cake held together, the yellow one with the wide bottom. I'm going to have to try using an epoxy for the other two. The ceramic and metal just didn't stick together with the E6000. I'm not sure what I did wrong there. I think I shoud have sanded the metal and ceramic. But I'm just going to try the epoxy next.

So then I flipped it over and spray painted it.


















I didn't want to run the risk of the paint running, so I did a lot of thin coats. 


And voila! My new cake stand...


So fun, right?  I made another one this weekend. A red and white one, but I gave it to my sister before I could snap a picture of it all finished and pretty.  Although here it is in production...


all crafts Homemade Projects ~ Add Yours!

3 comments:

  1. The pictures do it justice a lot more than your explanation did, no offense. They turned out really cute. And what a great idea to pile books on top of them! Awesome. I'll live vicariously through your craftiness, as I have none of my own. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Erin-I love your cake stand! I made a similar one with cake pans and a candle stick. And thanks for visiting and following ReMadeSimple!

    ReplyDelete

Comments make me smile. And who doesn't love to smile? So...comment away! And if you have any questions, please ask.