Thursday, April 28, 2011

Thrifty Thursday: Bright & Funky Spray Painted Vases {with Half-Baked Tutorial}

I love this idea.

LOVE IT!

So, I found glass vases in different sizes and textures at the thrift store, scarfed up a whole ton of them and endured the odd looks from the cashier lady sent to find me a box to cart them away in.

"Why are you buying all these vases?" she asked.

I told her my plan.

"I never would have thought of that," she said. I can't be certain she meant this as a compliment.

Okay, so back at home I threw down my spray painting sheet on the garage floor, whipped out my cans of Kryon, sat my vases (one at a time) upside down in the middle of the sheet and gave 'em about 3-4 thin (letting it dry between coats...you don't want the paint to run down the vase) coats of paint.  For the last coat, I turned the vase right side up and gave it a quick onceover, trying not to get the paint inside the vase just in case I actually want to put flowers in them at some point. (Did you catch that? That was my (kind of) tutorial.

I didn't get them all done in one day. I worked on them here and there. And I wasn't even totally sure I was going to like them.  But then I began lining them up... 

(Warning: There may be too many pictures of my insanely awesome vases.)


(Please ignore the ugly digital box antenae things. Yep. We're a bit old school.)


My boys keep saying, "Mom, those vases are really cool." Awww, they're they best.


Ack! Don't you just love the texture and the colors??!  My favorite is that little robin-egg blue bumpy one.


I've been wanting to add more color to my house and this was the ticket. And best of all it was so cheap! I snapped up these vases for a dollar each, except for the short fat red one on the end. It was a whopping $2.  Not bad for $11, right?

I'm thinking of adding some yellow vases into the mix as well.  Darn.  I guess I'll have to go back to the thrift store...

Linking up here...

all crafts Homemade Projects ~ Add Yours!

15 comments:

  1. Those really are fantastic. And leave some vases for the rest of us, would you?! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is a perfect example of you taking my idea (ok not really my idea, I'm just the one who told you that you could spray paint glass) and making it 100 times cuter than I would have thought to do. I love it!!! It's so YOU!! And I love the brown mixed in there I wouldn't have thought to do that!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the vases...I have a whole bin of vases in my basement. Last spring I covered my mantel in all white vases and loved it but for this summer I may have to steal your idea...it's really fun!

    ReplyDelete
  4. ok, LOVE this! Just at the thrift store today and looking for something to cover our cords for our wall mounted TV (why pay an electrician to hard wire a TV over your fire place, when you can just run cords and then DECORATE!). Lookin' at all the ugly 80's pink or brown vases at the store and getting discouraged. NOW, I need to go back and snatch those suckers up. Yes, love this idea!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is such a great idea, I love it! how colorful.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a fantastic idea! The bright colors and variety of textures just scream "SPRING"! Nice work! I'd love for you to stop by my blog sometime, www.icantstopcrafting.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am loving the vases, but my favorite is blue - what color blue is that? I have so got to paint something with that blue!!! I'm your newest "follower" from Made by You Monday's linky party and would love a follow back if you have time.

    Thanks,
    Mary @ Redo 101
    www.Redo101.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love them all! Great idea and what a pop of color. New follower here too. :-) Adorable kids!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I really like this idea and the colors you chose! I've been trying to add some color also, I'll have to get out my spray paint and some old vases and give it a try!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love color and this is a great way to add color without commitment!

    ReplyDelete
  11. ok this is sucha cute idea. I am so doing this. Thank you for sharing. I found you through tip junkies linky party. come and say hi
    tyandwhitneyulrich.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  12. i have that exact same one (the bumpy blue one) i'll have to try this out when it gets a little warmer. have a few clear ones that are screaming for new colors. am now following you. pop over and see me if you want. :) andie @ http://crayonfreckles.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  13. I LOVE these! So bright and cheerful! They are fantastic.

    Brandy
    Gluesticks

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love this idea and I keep wanting to do it! I just love your color choices. Spruce up the new apartment, add some color here and there...

    ReplyDelete

Comments make me smile. And who doesn't love to smile? So...comment away! And if you have any questions, please ask.