Saturday, February 19, 2011

Glitter Playdough (including The Best Playdough Recipe Ever!)

For many long and arduous years I have searched for the best playdough recipe. Not too dry. Not too sticky. Not too difficult to make.  

And finally, yes, finally my quest is complete.  I have found it!  The Best Playdough Recipe Ever. Yes, that's right, The. Best. Playdough. Recipe. Ever.

I found the original recipe Here. But I tweaked it a bit. More flour, less oil, a substitution...

I tried making it with the cream of tartar....but I only had 1 1/2 tablespoons on hand. Ack! So, then I tried using Alum instead.  None. Left.  So....
I used cornstarch. Yes. Cornstarch (is there an echo in here?) And, voila!

Oh, and what could make this playdough even better? Of course! Glitter.

The Best Playdough Ever

5 cups flour
8 tablespoons cornstarch
A whole bunch of glitter, if desired
2 cups salt
3 tablespoons oil
4 cups boiling water
food coloring

Stir together flour, cornstarch and salt. And throw the glitter in here if you'd like. Come on. Really you should. Glitter playdough? What's cooler than that?

Boil water and add oil and food coloring to it. Pour into flour mixture.  Stir and stir and stir and then when you can't stir anymore, knead and knead and knead. Then grab all your playdough toys and get busy. Oh, and you might want to gather up the little ones in the house, too.  No sense in you hogging all the fun for yourself.

Zoe had a great time making me many many birthday cakes. She sang me songs and made me blow out the candles.  If all those wishes come true, I should be published in no time.





Zoe's little friend, Elina came over and they had oodles of fun making things together. I love watching my kids interact with their friends. They're so cute together. As I type this, my boys are making a lego version of the TV show Wipe Out with a friend. So far they've had to ask for a bread pan, water and soap.  Apparently they need to make some "acid" to torture their lego men with, too..  Sweet boys, right? 










Elina enjoyed making little gingerbread men "cookies". Hmmmm, it doesn't look like Zoe was interested in eating any though. 











The next day Zoe and I played playdough chef and made pizza....
















spaghetti...
















and a hamburger and fries...
















Even Molly got in on the fun.

 I gave her some playdough in a plastic baggie. But she wasn't very interested in  it. She wanted the real deal.  Problem was that she kept trying to eat it.  Or throw it. And it's funny that she had to keep tasting it and then spitting it out.  How's that short term memory baby?





1 comment:

  1. I do love the glitter playdough. I would like to say my boys would play with it, and they would, but I'm sure they'd rather torture Lego men in the acid. I mean really, which is more exciting?

    ReplyDelete

Comments make me smile. And who doesn't love to smile? So...comment away! And if you have any questions, please ask.