Thursday, February 27, 2014

doodley embroidery


I love to embroider.

But I'm a total beginner. I've embroidered, like, 3 projects in probably 10 years. It's just not something I've made time for, but I love the look of it and I'd love to do more (loads and loads) of it.

A few years ago, on a whim, I bought this fun book...



Doodle Stitching.  And it is awesome. I love the fun projects. And I love Aimee Ray's approach to embroidery. Doodling. Brilliant. 

And I love to doodle, as illustrated by my latest writing notebook. 



So, months and months (and months) ago (before Rory was born), I took a jean jacket of Zoe's and got busy. I didn't plan anything. I just started doodling. With thread....




It was super fun! It's an excellent thing to do while watching a movie. And isn't this such a great way to upcycle a coat? Or imagine what you could do to jean pockets. (I'm kind of excited by the possibilities. Yep. I love embroidery.)

Next...that jacket got plopped in a plastic box and shoved into a corner. We had Rory, school started, I attempted to shower more than once a week (sometimes failing), winter came, Christmas chaos and then, finally, a few weeks ago I worked on it some more. 





I'm happy as a lark about that butterfly. Oh, and I love how the words turned out there above the sun. You can't see them too well in the picture, but it says, "hello sunshine". 

It's not done. I still want to add all sorts of things to it. I want it to be really colorful and fun. But Zoe wanted to wear it anyway. 


She told me after the first day she wore it to school, that she went around showing everyone the back and saying, "My mom made it." 

Cute girl. 

Molly is anxiously awaiting for me to start hers. Luckily, I have a jean jacket all ready for it. She's requested a mermaid and a girl playing on the playground. Hmmmm. This will be interesting. 


No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments make me smile. And who doesn't love to smile? So...comment away! And if you have any questions, please ask.